Job opportunitiesAll vacancies
Medical Science Liaison
The organization is pushing the boundaries of science in order to deliver live-saving breakthrough medicines that will improve patients’ lives. In that endeavour, Medical Affairs is a key strategic partner in shaping the optimal performance of the brands. The Medical Science Liaison is responsible for building scientific partnerships with Key External Experts (KEE) and other healthcare professionals through providing high quality up-to-date scientific and medical information to customers. The function is 80% based in the field. (The role will work in strong collaboration with the medical affairs manager (line-manager) of the therapeutic area (TA) who is office-based. These outputs are guaranteed through continuously building robust scientific and medical expertise on the therapeutic area, products and its competitors in combination with a business acumen attitude and strong communication skills.
Conduct scientific exchange and collect customer insights:
The MSL role typically interacts with a target list of expert customers of between 40-50 people in which the role will develop strong strategic partnerships driven by the science and the TA strategy. During these interactions that are non-promotional in nature and driven by a clear (customer) objective, a lot of customer insights are gained that need to flow back to the brand teams. Within this broad task, the MSL will:
- Stay up-to-date in TA knowledge through active monitoring of the scientific literature, congress attendance and frequent interactions with Key External Experts (KEE)
- Discuss key data sets with experts in F2F contacts or group meetings in order to identify patient pathways, treatment realities in areas of medical need as guided by the TA strategy
- Build relationships with experts for advocacy development guided by the TA strategy
- Brief speakers for scientific events
- Document customer and visit information in a customer relationship management tool
- Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved products or unapproved uses of approved products
- Respond to medical queries via medical information platform
- Continuously improve or optimize impactful communication skills through received coaching by line-manager or other coaches in joint visits
- Interact with other MSLs from other countries or other TAs in order to exchange best practice and further shape the role
- Attend international and national scientific and medical congresses in the TA
Cross-functional scientific exchange and communication with internal stakeholders
The MSL role is also very active in enabling other functions through internal education and support based on their knowledge from the customers and the TA.
- Share customer insights with internal stakeholders (brand team, sales reps)
- Gain profound territory knowledge (eg. by getting input from the sales representatives).
- Educate sales representatives by providing in-depth information on disease and therapies when required
- Support Clinical operations in site selection
Gain input from and co-create projects with KEE
The MSL role typically organizes and leads meetings with KEE in order to gain their input on well-defined data sets or projects to advance the TA strategy. They will recruit participants to these meetings from their target list. Within this broad task, the MSL will:
- Develop relationships with KEE and know their interests (customer profiling)
- Conduct and moderate the meetings
- Have a sound knowledge of the TA strategy (business acumen)
- Liaise with the brand team to prepare and report back
Manage scientific partnerships with KEE
- Manage Externally Sponsored Research
- Follow-up of grants/chairs/scientific sponsorings with Key External Experts
- Successfully complete all training requirements
- Comply with all external regulations & internal policies
Full understanding of AZ MSL guide, external interactions policy standards, (including, but not limited to publications policy, congress policy,…)
The following summarizes the capabilities (skills, knowledge, attitude) and competencies needed to be able to accomplish all job responsibilities for this specific job function:
- Exemplify the Values and behaviours (see annexe)
- Demonstrate the MSL Core Capabilities (see annexe)
- Excellent relational and communication skills.
- Takes initiative and proactive were needed while conscious of compliance and process rules in the company.
- Presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams
- Business Acumen
- Project management skills
- Conduct activities and interactions consistent with Company values and in compliance with the Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards relevant to your role. Complete all required training on the AZ Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards on time. Report potential issues of non-compliance.
In addition, for Managers and Project Team Leaders:
- Ensure and monitor compliance by team members and third parties by (a) positively reinforcing the Code of Conduct and all relevant Policies and Standards, (b) ensuring completion of all required training, (c) fostering a culture of openness in which employees are comfortable raising questions or concerns, and (d) immediately addressing and reporting, as appropriate, instances of non-compliance.
- Manager Accountabilities include Ethical Conduct and Compliance, Team Management, Performance Management, Individual Development Planning, Talent Management, Recruitment, People information, SHE accountabilities, and Fiscal and Financial awareness.
Leaders with accountability for GXP areas are expected to understand the legal and regulatory requirements of their roles in providing appropriate resources (which could be human, financial, material, facilities, and equipment) to maintain the Quality system and continually improve its effectiveness.
Medical or Pharmacist Degree or scientific degree with PhD
Significant and robust experience with searching, handling, assimilating, synthesizing, reporting and presenting scientific data in the health care sector
National mobility and flexibility (organisation and attendance of evening meetings)
Knowledge of therapeutic area or the ability to acquire this knowledge rapidly.
Medical integrity and ethical balance
Languages: Fluent French, Dutch and English
Experience in and knowledge of pharmaceutical medical and marketing processes
Experience in moderation of meetings with Healthcare Professionals
Broad employability in other TAs is an asset.